[yocto] How to find the source of a variable value?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon Sep 16 11:40:27 PDT 2013

On 16 September 2013 19:34, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> This isn't working for me. The image I'm trying to build is
> core-image-gtk-directfb. The recipe is in meta/recipes-graphics/images. If
> I just type "bitbake -k core-image-gtk-directfb", I get two errors:
>
> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'core-image-gtk-directfb'
> ERROR: core-image-gtk-directfb was skipped: FEATURE "x11" is in
> DISTRO_FEATURES, Please remove "x11" from DISTRO_FEATURES, use
> "gtk-directfb" instead of it
>
> I don't understand the "Nothing PROVIDES" error. Doesn't a recipe called
> x.bb PROVIDE x by default? The second error comes from the bit of Python
> in that recipe, which at least proves that it's reading that recipe.

The default DISTRO_FEATURES includes x11, so that's where it's coming
from.  If you're using oe-core/poky from git master, you can do
DISTRO_FEATURES_remove="x11" in your configuration, or else you'll
need to set DISTRO_FEATURES to the current value, minus x11.

The order of messages is a bit backwards there - nothing provides
core-image-gtk-directfb because the recipe caused itself to be
skipped.

To be honest I'm not sure why that recipe forces itself to be skipped
if x11 is present - it should work with x11 present - but if you're
not using X then it makes sense to remove it from DISTRO_FEATURES so
that you don't get unusable X dependences in your images.

Ross