[yocto] How to find the source of a variable value?

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Sep 16 11:37:25 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com>wrote:

> > > On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Paul D. DeRocco
> > > <pderocco at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > This image recipe has some Python that complains
> > > because "x11" is in
> > > DISTRO_FEATURES. How do I find out where that "x11" is
> > > coming from? This
> > > is a Gumstix build, so I suspect it's indirectly
> > > related to my selecting
> > > "overo" as the MACHINE, because otherwise building this
> > > image would never
> > > have worked with the plain Yocto meta-data. So how do I
> > > track this down?
>
> > From: Chris Larson
> >
> > Assuming you're using recent metadata, bitbake -e somerecipe
> > will show you this.
>
> This isn't working for me. The image I'm trying to build is
> core-image-gtk-directfb. The recipe is in meta/recipes-graphics/images. If
> I just type "bitbake -k core-image-gtk-directfb", I get two errors:
>
> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'core-image-gtk-directfb'
> ERROR: core-image-gtk-directfb was skipped: FEATURE "x11" is in
> DISTRO_FEATURES, Please remove "x11" from DISTRO_FEATURES, use
> "gtk-directfb" instead of it
>
> I don't understand the "Nothing PROVIDES" error. Doesn't a recipe called
> x.bb PROVIDE x by default? The second error comes from the bit of Python
> in that recipe, which at least proves that it's reading that recipe.

It does, but in this case it 'skips' itself, telling bitbake it's not
available to be built given the current context, hence isn't provided by
that recipe.

If I type "bitbake -e core-image-gtk-directfb", I just get the first
> error. This happens almost instantly, before it's done any real work, so
> I'm not getting any further output.

It's raising that error to bitbake in the parsing process, unfortunately,
which means it can't be used as a target even for informational purposes
like -e.

To look at a global variable like DISTRO_FEATURES, use bitbake -e without
any arguments.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com