[yocto] Confused which layers are needed for meta-intel/meta-crownbay

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue May 14 02:44:45 PDT 2013

On Tuesday 14 May 2013 11:34:38 Felix01 Fischer wrote:
> > It's not the opposite, it's the same. Poky is composed of
> > openembedded-core,
> > bitbake, yocto-docs and a few other bits and pieces; so you can either
> > use poky here or openembedded-core + bitbake.
>
> First, thank you for your quick reply :-)
>
> So I guess, it's fine only to add meta-intel and meta-intel/meta-crownbay
> to BBLayers and not openembedded-core and bitbake, too?

No, if you are already using poky, you wouldn't add openembedded-core to
bblayers.conf and you would never add bitbake there (bitbake is the build
tool, it's not a layer).

> If so, why not remove this confusing reference to open-embedded?

Most layers declare these dependencies because some users prefer to use
separate openembedded-core and bitbake rather than the combined poky, and it
is the established convention within the layer documentation to declare the
separate dependencies. Perhaps we could be clearer in our documentation that
poky can take place of those however.

Cheers,
Paul

--