[yocto] OE/Yocto Talk in Free Software and Linux Days in Turkey

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 13:52:29 PDT 2013

If I expected that my audience would be mostly made up of people who
have been using *nix for years and are comfortable with the cmdline,
then I would show how I use Yocto/OE via the cmdline. If I expected
that most of them would be more accustomed to Eclipse/GUI-based
development, then I would try to introduce them to the Yocto Project
via Hob or the ADT.

While it is true that using Yocto is an absolutely amazing tool for
building embedded distributions, in the grand scheme of things
building a kernel+filesystem for your target is not something that
you're going to be doing 3 times every day. In fact there's probably
only one member of any development team who needs to know how to
create the kernel+fs. The rest of the team is probably involved with
writing the "magic sauce" that'll make your product stand out. For
those members (the majority of the team) showing how Yocto can also
create an SDK that helps them cross-develop their code is more likely
to be the stand-out feature that'll pull them in.

If I had to create a talk I'd probably spend no more than 40% of the
time showing them how neat Yocto is in that you can add various
packages to an image and how the package list is independent of the
target CPU. For example, you can have 2 different devices, but build
an image for both that contains the same packages and all that's
needed is a one-line, local, configuration change. I'd then spend the
rest of the talk discussing the SDK that can be generated and deployed
to the various team members. Then, if a package is added, a new SDK is
generated, the team members install the new SDK, update their
environment, and "voila!" they can now build an application that uses
sqlite3 (for example).

There are many previous Yocto/OE talks from which you can draw
inspiration. free-electrons.com has archives of many such talks from
various embedded linux conferences. These archives include videos as
well as slides. Maybe something in that pile can help you get ready?

E.g. http://free-electrons.com/blog/elc-2012-videos/