[yocto] OE/Yocto Talk in Free Software and Linux Days in Turkey

Eren Türkay eren at hambedded.org
Thu Mar 28 07:21:34 PDT 2013

Hello,

Free software and Linux days [0] is held annually by Istanbul Bilgi
University [1] and Turkish Linux Users Association [2] for 12 years. It
is one of the most well known events, which will be on 5-6 April 2013
this year. My application has been accepted and I will be giving talk
about OE/Yocto.  My seminar title is: "Building an Embedded Linux
Distribution using OpenEmbedded and Yocto"

The time allocated for the seminar is 45-minutes. The audience generally
has a basic knowledge of linux and they are eager to learn new topics.

Since OE/Yocto is not well known in Turkey, I thought it would be better
to talk about the basics about OE/Yocto. I will give an overview
throughout the seminar, and show how to grab a layer and start building
the distribution.

My draft list of topics to include are:

- What is an embedded system?
- How embedded linux systems are produced? (traditional way of creating
  cross-toolchain, using buildroot, scratchbox, etc)
- What are the disadvantages of these methods? How can it be done
  differently?
- Introduction to OpenEmbedded and Yocto
- What problems does it solve. Advantages/Disadvantages.
- By whom and how is it developed?
- The structure of OpenEmbedded
- How to create an image using OpenEmbedded

I haven't prepared slides and I have one week until the event.  I would
really appreciate a previous seminar materials and slides. I would be
grateful if we can discuss further on items in detail (e.g: what to
explain). If you were to give a talk about OE, what would you explain?
:)

Thanks for your help!

[0] http://www.ozguryazilimgunleri.org.tr/2013/
[1] http://www.bilgi.edu.tr/en/