[yocto] OE/Yocto Talk in Free Software and Linux Days in Turkey

Eren Türkay eren at hambedded.org
Sat Mar 30 02:39:16 PDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 04:52:29PM -0400, Trevor Woerner wrote:
> If I had to create a talk I'd probably spend no more than 40% of the
> time showing them how neat Yocto is in that you can add various
> packages to an image and how the package list is independent of the
> target CPU. For example, you can have 2 different devices, but build
> an image for both that contains the same packages and all that's
> needed is a one-line, local, configuration change. I'd then spend the
> rest of the talk discussing the SDK that can be generated and deployed
> to the various team members. Then, if a package is added, a new SDK is
> generated, the team members install the new SDK, update their
> environment, and "voila!" they can now build an application that uses
> sqlite3 (for example).

Thanks for your suggestion! You are right about SDK and most people in
the development team would normally write applications for the board
using the SDK.

I will probably allocate 50% of the talk to SDK after explaining what
Yocto is, and how we can use it to build a root image. I'm thinking of
showing how the kernel/fs guy can work, and how other team members can
use the image easily.

> There are many previous Yocto/OE talks from which you can draw
> inspiration. free-electrons.com has archives of many such talks from
> various embedded linux conferences. These archives include videos as
> well as slides. Maybe something in that pile can help you get ready?
>
> E.g. http://free-electrons.com/blog/elc-2012-videos/

Thank you for the links. I also got yocto project presentations.

Regards,
Eren

--
    . 73! DE TA1AET