[yocto] Discovering available Perl modules OR writing recipes for your own

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Jul 25 06:44:37 PDT 2013

Hi mulhern,

On Thursday 25 July 2013 09:25:04 mulhern wrote:
> Thanks, but that specific module isn't the whole total of my problem. It's
> nice of you to point out for me the location of that one but what about the
> more like 15 or so others I didn't list and where they might or might not
> be hiding? Should that particular module really be in the meta-security
> layer just because it is meta-security that needed it first?

I think the problem is we still don't have a good home for perl recipes not
needed by anything in OE-Core but that are still useful. I am aware that a
community member is working on a large number of perl recipes for CPAN modules
(Stygia on IRC) but I'm not sure what the current status of that work is.

> My real problem is not that particular module it's that
> 1) I don't know a good way to find out if all those modules that I need
> haven't already been packaged up by someone somewhere.

The best way we have for finding these is the recipe search function in the OE
layer index:

http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipes/

> 2) I'm not certain that writing a separate recipe for each and every one of
> those little modules is the correct way to go about getting them all if
> they aren't already available somewhere.

This is the convention we have established. Hopefully with what's in OE-Core,
meta-security and what's coming in the new layer I referred to above we'll on
our way to a sizable portion of the packages available. It might be worth
pinging Stygia to find out how work is going on that layer.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton