[yocto] only -dbg and -dev packages being built

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Thu Jul 11 07:27:43 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Brian Karcz <briank at russound.com> wrote:

> I created a recipe (xyz) to assemble together an externally built executable
> and some configuration files that are local to recipe. It consists of a few
> SRC_URI specifications for the files and a do_install function to place all
> the pieces in the root filesystem. When I bitbake the recipe, the only
> packages that show up in the tmp/deploy/ipk area are the xyz–dbg and xyz–dev
> versions and not the plain xyz version. Because of this, when I add xyz to
> the POKY_EXTRA_INSTALL variable of my image recipe, the do_rootfs task fails
> because it can’t find the xyz package.
>

> Is this a common issue? Is there a set of rules that determine which
> versions of a package get created?
>

> I should also note that this work is being done with the Edison version of
> poky/yocto.

in general something like that means that you've 'installed' your
binary in the right folder. Packages are generated by pulling
installed files based on where they have been installed.  you will
find this in bitbake.conf which are the default definitions:

FILES_${PN} = "${bindir}/* ${sbindir}/* ${libexecdir}/*
${libdir}/lib*${SOLIBS} \
            ${sysconfdir} ${sharedstatedir} ${localstatedir} \
            ${base_bindir}/* ${base_sbindir}/* \
            ${base_libdir}/*${SOLIBS} \
            ${base_prefix}/lib/udev/rules.d ${prefix}/lib/udev/rules.d
\
            ${datadir}/${BPN} ${libdir}/${BPN}/* \
            ${datadir}/pixmaps ${datadir}/applications \
            ${datadir}/idl ${datadir}/omf ${datadir}/sounds \
            ${libdir}/bonobo/servers"

FILES_${PN}-dev = "${includedir} ${FILES_SOLIBSDEV} ${libdir}/*.la \
                ${libdir}/*.o ${libdir}/pkgconfig ${datadir}/pkgconfig
\
                ${datadir}/aclocal ${base_libdir}/*.o \
                ${libdir}/${BPN}/*.la ${base_libdir}/*.la"

if you go in your package $WORKDIR, you will find the folder 'package'
that has all installed files, and packages-split which has all
installed files 'per' package. the fix for that is generally to
install your binary at the right place. Alternatively, you can
customize FILES_{$PN} in your .bb file.