[yocto] PROVIDES for Yocto Kernel Recipes

Rudolf Streif rstreif at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Feb 7 17:52:06 PST 2013

Yes, of course with a space. Proportional fonts don't work that well with
code. :)

That's why I am asking if anyone else found that to be a nuisance. Of
course, for a BSP you have to set PREFERRED_VERSION. But for testing and
working with different kernel version I would find it more convenient if I
had not to change PREFERRED_VERSION in the machine file or override it in
local.conf.

It's also sort of an inconsistency. Typically, one would expect that you
could run bitbake against a recipe by specifying the package name and
version. Using -b with the recipe file name is not an option since you
would not get the bbappends.

Cheers,
Rudi

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Rudolf Streif <rudolf.streif at linux.com>wrote:
>
>> I apologize if that has been brought up before.
>>
>> The linux-yocto kernel recipes include the git tags into PV by explicitly
>> setting:
>>
>> PV = "${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"
>>
>> This means that you cannot for example do
>>
>> bitbake linux-yocto-3.2
>>
>> anymore because PROVIDES does not contain linux-yocto-3.2 but only the
>> rather cumbersome string linux-yocto-3.2+git${SRCPV}, with ${SRCPV}
>> expanded of course.
>>
>> The percent notation only works for
>>
>> PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto = "3.2%"
>>
>> but does not work for
>>
>> bitbake linux-yocto-3.2%
>>
>> That really only leaves you with setting PREFERRED_VERSION which is not
>> that convenient if you just want to build a different kernel version.
>>
>> I am not sure how others feel about that and maybe I am missing something
>> but it would be rather simple to add that back by setting
>>
>> PV = "${LINUX_VERSION} ${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"
>>

> You mean with a space in the version string ? I know that I don't want
> directories floating around
> with spaces, since they cause no end of troubles. But maybe it's just the
> font in gmail playing
> tricks with my eyes.
>
> Perhaps Richard has a suggestion, but in 3+ years, this is the first time
> that this particular issue
> has come up. Most everyone is setting the PREFERRED_VERSION in their bsps,
> or local.conf
> and not using that particular mechanism of switching between kernels ..
> myself included, and I
> probably build more versions of linux-yocto than anyone you'll find :)
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not dead set against changing it, but we do need
> both the meta and
> machine git hashes in the version to uniquely identify the tree (and my no
> spaces comment!).
> Maybe someone knows of a better way for command line switching of the
> version ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce
>

>> Well, kind of, you still would have to know the minor version number.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rudi

> "Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
> at its end"

*Rudolf J. Streif*
Director of Embedded Solutions
The Linux Foundation

rudolf.streif at linux.com
Phone: +1.619.631.5383
Skype: rudolfstreif
PGP: RSA 2048/2048 D6E7D28B

Linux Foundation Events Schedule:  events.linuxfoundation.org