[yocto] PROVIDES for Yocto Kernel Recipes

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Thu Feb 7 17:58:30 PST 2013

On 13-02-07 8:52 PM, Rudolf Streif wrote:
> Yes, of course with a space. Proportional fonts don't work that well
> with code. :)

Back to my work account with a sane client now!

> That's why I am asking if anyone else found that to be a nuisance. Of
> course, for a BSP you have to set PREFERRED_VERSION. But for testing and
> working with different kernel version I would find it more convenient if
> I had not to change PREFERRED_VERSION in the machine file or override it
> in local.conf.
>
> It's also sort of an inconsistency. Typically, one would expect that you
> could run bitbake against a recipe by specifying the package name and

I'd have to leave this comment up to others with respect to consistency,
since I'm a kernel guy and not a long time oe-classic user (just my time
with yocto and oe-core). But I've never switched versions on the command
line like this myself. A matter of taste and habits I suppose.

I quick survey shows roughly:

../meta]> find . -name '*.bb' | xargs grep PV | grep SRCPV | wc -l
87

Almost 90 other recipes with some variant of SRCPV in their version string.
So unless I'm mistaken .. they'd all suffer the same issue as linux-yocto.

Cheers,

Bruce