[yocto] PROVIDES for Yocto Kernel Recipes

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 17:39:07 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Rudolf Streif <rudolf.streif at linux.com>wrote:

> I apologize if that has been brought up before.
>
> The linux-yocto kernel recipes include the git tags into PV by explicitly
> setting:
>
> PV = "${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"
>
> This means that you cannot for example do
>
> bitbake linux-yocto-3.2
>
> anymore because PROVIDES does not contain linux-yocto-3.2 but only the
> rather cumbersome string linux-yocto-3.2+git${SRCPV}, with ${SRCPV}
> expanded of course.
>
> The percent notation only works for
>
> PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto = "3.2%"
>
> but does not work for
>
> bitbake linux-yocto-3.2%
>
> That really only leaves you with setting PREFERRED_VERSION which is not
> that convenient if you just want to build a different kernel version.
>
> I am not sure how others feel about that and maybe I am missing something
> but it would be rather simple to add that back by setting
>
> PV = "${LINUX_VERSION} ${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"

You mean with a space in the version string ? I know that I don't want
directories floating around
with spaces, since they cause no end of troubles. But maybe it's just the
font in gmail playing
tricks with my eyes.

Perhaps Richard has a suggestion, but in 3+ years, this is the first time
that this particular issue
has come up. Most everyone is setting the PREFERRED_VERSION in their bsps,
or local.conf
and not using that particular mechanism of switching between kernels ..
myself included, and I
probably build more versions of linux-yocto than anyone you'll find :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dead set against changing it, but we do need
both the meta and
machine git hashes in the version to uniquely identify the tree (and my no
spaces comment!).
Maybe someone knows of a better way for command line switching of the
version ?

Cheers,

Bruce

> Well, kind of, you still would have to know the minor version number.
>
> Cheers,
> Rudi

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"