[yocto] PROVIDES for Yocto Kernel Recipes

Rudolf Streif rudolf.streif at linux.com
Thu Feb 7 17:22:26 PST 2013

I apologize if that has been brought up before.

The linux-yocto kernel recipes include the git tags into PV by explicitly
setting:

PV = "${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"

This means that you cannot for example do

bitbake linux-yocto-3.2

anymore because PROVIDES does not contain linux-yocto-3.2 but only the
rather cumbersome string linux-yocto-3.2+git${SRCPV}, with ${SRCPV}
expanded of course.

The percent notation only works for

PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto = "3.2%"

but does not work for

bitbake linux-yocto-3.2%

That really only leaves you with setting PREFERRED_VERSION which is not
that convenient if you just want to build a different kernel version.

I am not sure how others feel about that and maybe I am missing something
but it would be rather simple to add that back by setting

PV = "${LINUX_VERSION} ${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"

Well, kind of, you still would have to know the minor version number.

Cheers,
Rudi