[yocto] Trying to build a non-autotools package that contains only a lib. Getting empty archive - package is not generated

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Dec 4 14:10:19 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman at gmail.com>wrote:

> I appear to be having the same problem this guy had:
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/poky/2013-June/009017.html
>
> I'm trying to build a Makefile based project (not autotools) that just
> generates a shared library.  When I bitbake my recipe I get a -dev and -dbg
> .ipk package but not ${PN}.  So I added ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1" and that
> generated the package but apparently the lib is not in the package!
>
> The lib I want to be in the package is sitting in ${WORKDIR}/src and ${S}
> is set to that.  So I tried to set FILES_${PN} = ${S}/sharedlib.so and that
> still doesn't pick it up.
>
> I've tried everything I can think of and can't get the lib in the
> package!  This is with 1.5 Dora.
>
> Any idea why my lib isn't put in the package?

do_install is the task that installs. If your makefile has an install
target, you’d define a do_install that runs it. But not all makefiles
provide an equivalent to automake’s DESTDIR, which is why we don’t provide
a do_install for non-autotools make-based buildsystems. Either manually
install the library where it belongs in your do_install, e.g. with the
‘install’ or ‘cp’ commands, or define one which runs the appropriate make
command to install the files into ${D}.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com