[yocto] Trying to build a non-autotools package that contains only a lib. Getting empty archive - package is not generated

Brian Hutchinson b.hutchman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 14:29:59 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Chris Larson <clarson at kergoth.com> wrote:

> do_install is the task that installs. If your makefile has an install
> target, you’d define a do_install that runs it. But not all makefiles
> provide an equivalent to automake’s DESTDIR, which is why we don’t provide
> a do_install for non-autotools make-based buildsystems. Either manually
> install the library where it belongs in your do_install, e.g. with the
> ‘install’ or ‘cp’ commands, or define one which runs the appropriate make
> command to install the files into ${D}.
> --
>
> Thanks Chris.

I do have a do_install that is copying stuff to ${D}/usr/lib which puts
things in my sysroot ... but what target do I use to get stuff into the
package which is used by my IMAGE_INSTALL line?  When I tar tvf my
core-image.tar and grep for my .so it currently isn't there ... but it and
the headers are in the sysroot.

When I look in the tmp/work dir, in packages-split my package name shows up
and there is noting in it.  In the very first version of yocto (1.0) the
same recipe I'm trying to use now worked and put the lib in
packages-split/usr/lib.  With Dora, packages-split/usr/lib is empty.

Regards,

Brian