[yocto] How/where/which scripts are run when an image boots?

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Aug 2 16:58:27 PDT 2013

On 2 Aug 2013, at 22:57, Chris Tapp wrote:

> I'm trying to understand how the various initrdscripts get called when an image (Cedartrail / 8.0.2) boots as I need to make a few changes.
>
> 1) Do the 'live' variants go into the core-image-minimal and the 'boot' ones into the rootfs image?
> 2) Where are the called from?
>
> I've previously workout out that init-live calls init-install. I've made changes to that so it installs to my device as I want. I'm now trying to do something similar so I can install / boot using ipxe.
>
> Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Update - It looks as if:

1) core-image-minimal-initramfs uses initramfs-live-boot to install init-live.sh as init.sh and initramfs-live-install to install init-install.sh as install.sh
2) init.sh (init-live.sh) then looks at the 'label' kernel parameter and runs:
   a) /sbin/init from the rootfs if label=boot (after switch root);
   b) install.sh (init-install.sh) if label=install.

If that's right I need to:

1) Create a new script (init-ipxe.sh) to be installed as init.sh;
2) Create a new script (init-install-ipxe.sh) to be installed as install.sh.

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com