[yocto] Compliance program questions

Nicolas Dechesne ndec13 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 01:51:45 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:
>>   - is it tolerated to change the versions of some components from
>> OE-core or meta-oe? Not just add patches through .bbappend, but
>> actually use an older or a more recent version of components, let's
>> say Gstreamer for example?
>

> If you change an upstream repository, oe-core, meta-oe, meta-yocto, etc..
> You should submit the patch to the appropriate upstream.  If the 'change'
> has been backported from a newer version then it's already been submitted
> upstream. (Good process here is to document the commit ID of what you
> backported, so it's easy to show compliance.)
>
> This holds true on .bbappends and new versions of things.  Note: if you put
> your new version of the code in your own custom layer, you don't need to
> submit it upstream for compliance.  (But I recommend you do as it will make
> long term maintenance much easier!)

I don't think i will change 'upstream' repo, in fact i don't even
think we will redistribute (copy) the upstream oe-core and meta-oe.
but we will need to use older version of some components (and perhaps
newer version too sometimes). so I was planning to add the recipes for
the older versions of an existing component into our 'distro' or
'extras' layers.

as for .bbappend, i think we will only use bbappend to add non generic
patches and/or alter the build configure options, none of that would
need to be upstream, i guess.

and, yes i understand that if in that process we happen to package new
components, we will try to 'upstream' them in oe-core or meta-oe, for
sure.