[yocto] Compliance program questions

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Apr 25 15:28:38 PDT 2013

On 4/25/13 10:36 AM, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding the compliance program. If
> there is a better place for asking such questions, please let me know.
>
> I have studied the Yocto compliance documentation, [1] on the website,
> and I have the following questions:

Below are my opinions, but I've been working on compliance issues for a while on
our products.

>   - is there any 'practical' guide with "do's and don'ts" to help make
> a sucessful Yocto Project Compatible registration?

There probably should be.  I see Jeffro has already responded about this.

>   - i understand that while the project should build with the OE core
> toolchain, it is not required to use the OE core toolchain 'by
> default', so we should be able to provide our own modified/customized
> toolchain in our layers, is my understanding correct?

The intention is that you aren't doing anything that will make it difficult to
work with the oe-core toolchain.  But we understand that new architectures may
require a custom toolchain.  Also custom toolchains may be provided by the
vendor for optimization and other reasons.  When I do my testing my rule is,
everything must build with the oe-core toolchain, unless it's not implemented or
has the same bug in the community.  (Not implemented is the case where an
optimization or architecture doesn't existing in oe-core.)

>   - it is recommended, but not mandatory not use the Yocto kernel, so
> we can use any mainline version in our BSP layers, right?

You can, but I've been told this is in the process of being revised.  The reason
for using the Yocto Project kernel is that it provides a common foundation for
YP participants.  This common foundation should allow people familiar with the
kernel tooling to make better use of the kernel sources and do things in a more
reusable way.  It's only recommended currently because it's clear that the
overall embedded community was not ready to embrace the tooling and versions
selected by the Yocto Project at the time the guidelines were written.

>   - is it tolerated to change the versions of some components from
> OE-core or meta-oe? Not just add patches through .bbappend, but
> actually use an older or a more recent version of components, let's
> say Gstreamer for example?

If you change an upstream repository, oe-core, meta-oe, meta-yocto, etc.. You
should submit the patch to the appropriate upstream.  If the 'change' has been
backported from a newer version then it's already been submitted upstream.
(Good process here is to document the commit ID of what you backported, so it's
easy to show compliance.)

This holds true on .bbappends and new versions of things.  Note: if you put your
new version of the code in your own custom layer, you don't need to submit it
upstream for compliance.  (But I recommend you do as it will make long term
maintenance much easier!)

>   - can we included new recipes for software programs not already
> included in oe-core or meta-oe in our layers, or do we have to
> contribute them back into oe-core or meta-oe before registration?

Your layers are your own responsibility.  There is nothing that forces you to
provide anything in your layer to an upstream location.  You just have to verify
that it works with a suitable version of oe-core.

The contribution requirement is geared toward people who repackage oe-core and
other open source layers for their customers.  It will help ensure that someone
isn't hiding or playing games with their local version of oe-core to make it
incompatible with other versions.  (Sure they can do that, but whatever they did
to make it incompatible will have at least been sent to the public.)

>   - the Yocto project compatible registration is made against a
> specific version of Yocto. What happens when a new Yocto version is
> released? Should we go through the registration process again?

Yes.  The registration process will have to be repeated.

--Mark