[yocto] Installing foreign fonts into the yocto build

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Apr 4 16:14:48 PDT 2013

On Wednesday 03 April 2013 10:47:02 Satya Swaroop Damarla wrote:
> I have a small issue. On my device, I would like to have Chinese, Japanese,
> Russian, Hebrewish, Greek fonts and all European language special
> characters available for java application based on X.
>
> In general I would like to know a method of adding custom fonts which are
> scalable to X server. I tried browsing oever the internet and in the
> mailing lists but not much success... Suggestions are deeply appreciated...

I'm not much of an expert on this area, but it seems to me this is a pretty
broad question; it covers not just fonts but also character sets. Presumably
if you can get away with only supporting Unicode you can just install a font
that supports a broad range of the unicode characters.

Otherwise, I'm not sure if there is a well-defined set of fonts to cover
everything; however one option would be to look at what fonts desktop-
oriented Linux distributions install by default since they always have to
deal with the issue of working out of the box in a wide variety of locales.

If you have an additional font to install that should be fairly easy - just
copy one of the existing font recipes we have under meta/recipes-graphics/ttf-
fonts and edit it to suit the font. There are additional font recipes in the
meta-oe layer as well:

http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/recipes-graphics/ttf-fonts

Once you have the recipe you just need to add it to the image, details on
how to do that can be found here:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage

Cheers,
Paul