[yocto] why was meta-dlna submodule history stripped out?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sat Oct 20 05:16:14 PDT 2012

On Friday 19 October 2012 11:01:09 Saul Wold wrote:
> On 10/19/2012 07:33 AM, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> > (I am delighted Intel is finding Guacamayo useful, but the obliteration
> > of the history makes it look as if the credit for this official Yocto
> > layer goes to Intel; I am sure that was not intentional.)
>
> No this was not intentional, the combo-layer tool seems to do that. I
> used combo layer because we wanted to pull in the kvm changes so that
> this could be shown as a VM.

This is the default behaviour of combo-layer, on the assumption that most
people don't want all the history from the very beginning. It is not clearly
documented but there is a simple procedure you can follow to set up the combo
repo if you do want complete history:

1) Instead of combo-layer init, run git init

2) Create conf/combo-layer.conf based on the template configuration
(scripts/combo-layer.conf.example) ensuring last_revision is blank for all
components

3) git add conf/combo-layer.conf, then git commit

4) Run combo-layer update

> > I am also interested in knowing why the fork was deemed necessary in the
> > first place, just in case it was for technical reasons that could be
> > addressed at source.
>
> In the first pass, there were mostly minor changes to cut this down to
> what was needed for the headless media server. As I moved to 1.3 there
> were more changes that I have made, you can see what's going on in the
> 1.3wip branch of meta-dlna. If you want some of those changes in
> meta-guacamayo please take them.

In the same way we manage the poky repository, at least as far as the master
branch is concerned I think we should be sending the fixes back upstream first
and then using the combo-layer tool to pull them back down when they are
merged.

Long term however I'd rather see the additional unique recipes in meta-
guacamayo itself go into more official OE community layers. meta-dlna would
continue to take them from there using combo-layer though I suspect. (This is
the plan I have for meta-baryon.)

Cheers,
Paul

--