[yocto] why was meta-dlna submodule history stripped out?

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Fri Oct 19 11:01:09 PDT 2012

On 10/19/2012 07:33 AM, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

> Looking over meta-dlna in Yocto git I see it's little more than a fork
> of meta-guacamayo from guacamayo-project.org -- could someone please
> explain to me why the git history was stripped out from this 'combo' layer?

My apologies, I updated the MAINTAINER and README files.

> (I am delighted Intel is finding Guacamayo useful, but the obliteration
> of the history makes it look as if the credit for this official Yocto
> layer goes to Intel; I am sure that was not intentional.)

No this was not intentional, the combo-layer tool seems to do that. I
used combo layer because we wanted to pull in the kvm changes so that
this could be shown as a VM.

> I am also interested in knowing why the fork was deemed necessary in the
> first place, just in case it was for technical reasons that could be
> addressed at source.

In the first pass, there were mostly minor changes to cut this down to
what was needed for the headless media server. As I moved to 1.3 there
were more changes that I have made, you can see what's going on in the
1.3wip branch of meta-dlna. If you want some of those changes in
meta-guacamayo please take them.

My goal is to make the meta-dlna be more cut down and not require the
as much. If we can accomplish that directly with meta-guacamayo that
would be awesome.

Right now I am fighting a dbus/rygel segfault.

Sau!