[yocto] openssl-native doesn't play nice with sstate (mirrors)?

Jerrod Peach peachj at lexmark.com
Fri Oct 19 09:03:32 PDT 2012

All,

I ran into an issue yesterday when trying to run the openssl binary that
comes out of the openssl-native package.  I had previously built
openssl-native in another location as another user, and that sstate entry
was copied out to an sstate mirror.  I then built openssl-native in my
personal workspace.  That worked fine; I got a cache hit from the sstate
mirror.  However, when trying to run openssl-native (just the openssl
binary itself, no arguments), I got this fatal error:

140295424861888:error:0200100D:system library:fopen:Permission
denied:bss_file.c:169:fopen('<path to original build
directory>/openssl.cnf','rb')
140295424861888:error:2006D002:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:system
lib:bss_file.c:174:
140295424861888:error:0E078002:configuration file routines:DEF_LOAD:system
lib:conf_def.c:199:

In this case, it seemed openssl wanted to find a config to its original
build location, but it wasn't allowed to find it in this case, because that
directory was owned by a different user.  Grepping through the binary and
openssl's *.so files, I found a ton of references to the original build
directory.  I was finally able to get around this behavior by setting a
couple of environment variables to point to the current directory of the
binary (namely, OPENSSLDIR and OPENSSL_CONF), but is this expected
behavior?  Is there some workaround that gets prevents the user of
openssl-native from having to set those environment variables?  Or, is this
a bug in the way openssl-native is built?

Kind regards,

Jerrod