[yocto] Documentation: Default FILESDIR

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Thu Mar 1 11:17:28 PST 2012

On 03/01/2012 07:36 AM, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> Darren,
>
> Please look at
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#platdev-appdev-insitu
> in the YP Reference manual.  This is the section you refer to in this
> mail.  The link in this latest version correctly goes to the
> referenced Quilt section, which has significantly changed.  The
> little paragraph you quote below is now basically part of the 9-step
> Quilt process in the YP Dev manual
> (http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#using-a-quilt-workflow).

OK, this does cover where to put the patch. However, someone looking to
write a recipe when they already have the patches they want may not
think to look for how to do this in a "Using a Quilt Workflow" section.
I think we should have a blurb about this in a section about writing
recipes:

"Add any additional files and patches referenced in the SRC_URI in the
same directory as the recipe so bitbake can find them."

> Can you look at these two sections now and then provide me with
> FILESPATH information so I can create a glossary entry for the item
> and possibly work the use of FILESPATH into the updated Quilt
> section?

I don't know that I'm the best person to define these... however, this
is my understanding, someone else should confirm:

FILESPATH: The ":" delimited set of paths that bitbake will search for
files referenced in the SRC_URI. Defaults to ".:files:${PN}".

FILESEXTRAPATHS: Appends a ":" delimited set of paths to FILESPATH. This
is intended for use in .bbappend files to include any additional files
provided in that layer. This is typically done as:
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

As an aside, it might be nice to make this 'FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend :=
"${THISDIR}/${PN}:"' the default for bbappend files. Although I imagine
there are good reasons for why it is the way it is.

--
Darren

--
Darren Hart