[yocto] missing kernel in rootfs image

Joshua Immanuel josh at hipro.co.in
Fri Feb 24 07:48:15 PST 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 09:45 -0500, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> > Can someone explain the work flow behind the process of installing
> > the kernel into the rootfs image? My custom image has the
> > IMAGE_INSTALL for "task-core-boot". In turn, the task-core-boot
> > recipe DEPENDS on "virtual/kernel" this ensures that the kernel is
> > staged.
> >
> > But, I am not sure which recipe/class is responsible for installing
> > the kernel in the final rootfs image. Should I explicitly add the
> > "linux-yocto" to RDEPENDS?
>
> Are you past this issue yet ? I'm not sure, since you did have some
> other email that looked to be past this .. or maybe they weren't.

I'm not sure how to put this. When I added the "linux-yocto" to
RDEPENDS_task* I was able to get the kernel image in the rootfs image
(ext3 image). But on the next compilation (i mean when I did $ bitbake
custom-image again) it complained dependency failed for task-*. So, I
ended up removing the line from RDEPENDS_task* but the final rootfs
image retained the kernel file in it.

I am in a confusion of which one to blame. I guess, the only way to
rebuild the tasks for custom-image is to remove tmp and sstate-cache
directories and build again.

        $ bitbake -c clean task-*
        $ bitbake -c clean custom-image

The above commands doesn't completely re-build the tasks listed for
custom-image. So, I guess the problem still exists.

Regards
Joshua
--
Joshua Immanuel