[yocto] missing kernel in rootfs image

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Fri Feb 24 07:43:20 PST 2012

On 02/24/2012 06:45 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 12-02-24 03:29 AM, Joshua Immanuel wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 15:10 +0530, Joshua Immanuel wrote:
>>>          While trying to generate my custom rootfs image, I added the
>>> linux_yocto_3.0.bbappend file to my custom layer and specified the
>>> KMACHINE, SRCREV and COMPATIBLE_MACHINE variables. I find the
>>> generated
>>> kernel image (bzImage-ekino.bin) in the tmp/deploy/images directory.
>>>
>>> But, the rootfs image does not contain the kernel (in /boot
>>> directory).
>>> My machine configuration file has the following kernel specific lines
>>>
>>>          PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-yocto"
>>>          PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-yocto ?= "3.0%"
>>
>> Can someone explain the work flow behind the process of installing the
>> kernel into the rootfs image? My custom image has the IMAGE_INSTALL for
>> "task-core-boot". In turn, the task-core-boot recipe DEPENDS on
>> "virtual/kernel" this ensures that the kernel is staged.
>>
>> But, I am not sure which recipe/class is responsible for installing the
>> kernel in the final rootfs image. Should I explicitly add the
>> "linux-yocto" to RDEPENDS?
>
> Are you past this issue yet ? I'm not sure, since you did have some
> other email that looked to be past this .. or maybe they weren't.
>
> Darren went through the process of documenting these variables and
> was looking into some related issues. Darren: is this something that
> you ran into ?

What sort of image are you creating (live, ext3, cpio)? You want to look
at the do_install() for the linux-yocto recipe. The bits you're
interested in are in meta/classes/kernel.bbclass in the
kernel_do_install() function. I suggest instrumenting that and sorting
out where things are going wrong from there.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center