[yocto] What is GMAE?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Dec 14 16:50:04 PST 2012

On 12/14/12 4:12 PM, Tim Bird wrote:
> On 12/14/2012 12:45 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:

>>> Basically, GMAE means GTK+ 2 and bits of the GNOME stack.
>>>
>>> A stealth plan of mine is to remove every trace of GMAE from Yocto.
>>> It was an initiative Poky was involved with back in the OpenedHand
>>> days that didn't really take off, and we're still carrying pieces of
>>> it.
>>
>> I get this question a lot.  With the ability (new in 1.3) to build an SDK based
>> on the contents of any arbitrary image.. the meta-toolchain-gmae is simply not
>> necessary.
>>
>> bitbake -c populate_sdk <image recipe>
>
> Aha.  Thanks very much.
>
> Is this the preferred way to get a toolchain out of yocto?
> That's exactly what I'm working on at the moment (well, after
> fixing up some toolchain build issues I've encountered after
> messing around a bit with the toolchain recipes...;-)

I don't know if it's the preferred "Yocto Project" way.. but it's the only way I
do it.

The code was implemented in the middle of the 1.3 process and does work in 1.3.
  (However multilib support may not be there.  There are a series of patches
pending for master that do enable the multilib support as part of the rpm/smart
work.)

--Mark