[yocto] What is GMAE?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Dec 15 03:04:45 PST 2012

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012, Tim Bird wrote:

> On 12/14/2012 12:45 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:

> >> Basically, GMAE means GTK+ 2 and bits of the GNOME stack.
> >>
> >> A stealth plan of mine is to remove every trace of GMAE from Yocto.
> >> It was an initiative Poky was involved with back in the OpenedHand
> >> days that didn't really take off, and we're still carrying pieces of
> >> it.
> >
> > I get this question a lot.  With the ability (new in 1.3) to build an SDK based
> > on the contents of any arbitrary image.. the meta-toolchain-gmae is simply not
> > necessary.
> >
> > bitbake -c populate_sdk <image recipe>
>
> Aha.  Thanks very much.
>
> Is this the preferred way to get a toolchain out of yocto?
> That's exactly what I'm working on at the moment (well, after
> fixing up some toolchain build issues I've encountered after
> messing around a bit with the toolchain recipes...;-)

  some observations about the documentation (or lack thereof) of this
task since tim seemed susprised about it, and i remember vaguely
running across it once upon a time but forgetting about it.

  the entirety of mention of populate_sdk in all of the checked out
yocto-docs repo is:

$ grep -rw populate_sdk *
documentation/ref-manual/eclipse/html/poky-ref-manual/ref-variables-glos.html:                <code class="filename">bitbake -c populate_sdk imagename</code>).
documentation/ref-manual/ref-variables.xml:                <filename>bitbake -c populate_sdk imagename</filename>).
documentation/ref-manual/ref-classes.xml:        populate_sdk*.bbclass
$

and part of that is a large comment at the end of ref-classes.xml
listing all of the undocumented classes, so it would seem this task
merits a bit more coverage.

  also, the yocto wiki currently contains this page for the "SDK
Generator" but it hasn't been updated since 2010:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/SDK_Generator

  just making some observations, i'm currently working through the ADT
manual and building an SDK for my beagle as we speak.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca