[yocto] What is GMAE?

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Fri Dec 14 14:12:28 PST 2012

On 12/14/2012 12:45 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:
> On 12/14/12 1:46 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:
>> On 14 December 2012 19:43, Tim Bird <tim.bird at am.sony.com> wrote:
>>> "If you need GMAE, you should use the bitbake meta-toolchain-gmae command. The resulting installation script when run will support such development. However, if you are not concerned with GMAE, you
>>> can generate the toolchain installer using bitbake meta-toolchain."
>>>
>>> After googling a bit, I figured out that GMAE stands for Gnome Mobile and Embedded.
>>>
>>> It might be good to put this acronym somewhere in the manual.
>>> (I'm still not sure if I need GMAE or not...)
>>
>> Basically, GMAE means GTK+ 2 and bits of the GNOME stack.
>>
>> A stealth plan of mine is to remove every trace of GMAE from Yocto.
>> It was an initiative Poky was involved with back in the OpenedHand
>> days that didn't really take off, and we're still carrying pieces of
>> it.
>
> I get this question a lot.  With the ability (new in 1.3) to build an SDK based
> on the contents of any arbitrary image.. the meta-toolchain-gmae is simply not
> necessary.
>
> bitbake -c populate_sdk <image recipe>

Aha.  Thanks very much.

Is this the preferred way to get a toolchain out of yocto?
That's exactly what I'm working on at the moment (well, after
fixing up some toolchain build issues I've encountered after
messing around a bit with the toolchain recipes...;-)

 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup of the Linux Foundation
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment