[yocto] using and auditing kernel config fragments

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Fri Apr 6 02:34:12 PDT 2012

Hi,

I am trying to add a kernel config fragment to the yocto 2.6.37 kernel
for BeagleBoard, because I need a driver for a rt2800usb dongle.

For some reason which I cannot work out, the rt2800usb options are
removed (rather then disabled) from the yocto kernel config, i.e., if I
run 'bitbake -c menuconfig linux-yocto', there is very little under
Drivers->Net->WLAN. If I run menuconfig in the devshell, there are lots
more WLAN drivers available, including the rt2800.

So, I created custom fragment with the appropriate options, which works
to the extent it gets picked up, but then the options are removed during
the kernel_configme process and end up in the missing_required.cfg, and
there is no information I can find anywhere in the logs as to why this
is the case. Any ideas how to find out what the problem is?

(I am using yocto master)

Tomas