[yocto] Yocto usability questions

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Thu Nov 17 13:38:11 PST 2011

On 16 Nov 2011, at 22:07, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:

> Mark & everyone else listening:
>
> Would you say that (1) the need for a recipe and (2) the requirement
> to cross-compile are two of the most major usability or learning-
> curve disadvantages of working with the Yocto Project (and oe-core)?
> What would be a third disadvantage from a usability standpoint?
>
> Another way to put it: if you could change three things about the
> Yocto Project to make it more approachable for someone who has never
> used it before, what would they be?

As another very experienced embedded systems developer who is
relatively new to embedded linux I would say that documentation and
worked examples are what I would really be after.

It can be really frustrating when you can't get something going
because you don't understand the phrases / terminology that's being
used and it isn't readily available via the documentation. I've seen
quite a few posts on here relating to the documentation and it does
look like good progress is being made. As someone said earlier in this
thread, it would be good it run stuff through new (or relatively new)
adopters to see if they can get the examples to work without a fight.
I'm more than happy to help (and learn!).

I to started with OE and failed to get a build to complete. Yocto got
me there first time, so it is already much better for a novice 'baker' !

Some worked examples for 'how to do xxx' would also be nice. E.g.

1) How do I configure the kernel ?
2) What do I need to do when I change my recipe to ensure that the
changes make it in to the image ?
3) How do I change and add startup scripts ?
4) How do I add data files to the image ?
5) How do I make sure dependencies (e.g. libraries) are included in
the image ? i.e. what do DEPENDS, RDEPENDS, etc. do.
6) How can I use a layer to hold my project files ?
7) Do I need to delete tmp/ and rebuild to ensure I've got a valid
project build configured ? (i.e. it doesn't rely on staged items that
don't build when I bitbake MyProject).
8) How do I make my existing autobuild project in to a recipe ?
9) How do I set / change the root password ?

These items would help explain how to create a recipe and to use
bbappend. Ideally they should be worded so that they can be followed
by someone with a general embedded background who has minimal exposure
to embedded linux. However, it probably doesn't want to be an embedded
linux primer.

This project is already easier to use than many others and is
supported by a really knowledgeable group who are willing to help
newcomers out. As it grows it would be unreasonable to expect the same
(relatively small) group to be able to support a much wider user-base.
Comprehensive documentation and non-trivial worked example should help
to reduce the workload and allow the group to assist those who have a
genuine need of help.

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com