[yocto] Yocto usability questions

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Nov 17 06:25:35 PST 2011

On 11/17/2011 08:06 AM, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> On 16.11.2011 23:07,  Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
>
>>> Mark & everyone else listening:
> I include myself in the "everyone" group and answer. ;-)
>
> Another problem seems, that you always need to work on the *latest*
> version of the recipe-trees since they are depending from the
> availability of the upstream sources. If sources change, disappear or
> move then the recipe needs to be adapted. Now I know that, but in the
> beginning it was just frustrating to get error messages any time I tried
> to build something.

This is the number one issue with the openembedded-core/meta-oe
combination. There is no system in place to publish a list of known good
revisions for people who are trying to get real work done. Currently,
I'm stuck because guile won't build. (I also see the samba issue, but
dropped it from gvfs). I've been around a long time, and there are still
some build issues that stump me. Personally, I need this stuff to work
so I can get stuff done for paying customers. I don't care if recipes
are perfect, or we have the latest version of everything, something that
builds reliably on a number of build machine distros is what we really need.

Philip