[yocto] Yocto usability questions

Brian Duffy brduffy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 14:17:27 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com> wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2011, at 22:07, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
>
>  Mark & everyone else listening:
>>
>> Would you say that (1) the need for a recipe and (2) the requirement to
>> cross-compile are two of the most major usability or learning-curve
>> disadvantages of working with the Yocto Project (and oe-core)? What would
>> be a third disadvantage from a usability standpoint?
>>
>> Another way to put it: if you could change three things about the Yocto
>> Project to make it more approachable for someone who has never used it
>> before, what would they be?
>>

> As another very experienced embedded systems developer who is relatively
> new to embedded linux I would say that documentation and worked examples
> are what I would really be after.
>
> It can be really frustrating when you can't get something going because
> you don't understand the phrases / terminology that's being used and it
> isn't readily available via the documentation. I've seen quite a few posts
> on here relating to the documentation and it does look like good progress
> is being made. As someone said earlier in this thread, it would be good it
> run stuff through new (or relatively new) adopters to see if they can get
> the examples to work without a fight. I'm more than happy to help (and
> learn!).
>
> I to started with OE and failed to get a build to complete. Yocto got me
> there first time, so it is already much better for a novice 'baker' !
>
> Some worked examples for 'how to do xxx' would also be nice. E.g.
>
> 1) How do I configure the kernel ?
> 2) What do I need to do when I change my recipe to ensure that the changes
> make it in to the image ?
> 3) How do I change and add startup scripts ?
> 4) How do I add data files to the image ?
> 5) How do I make sure dependencies (e.g. libraries) are included in the
> image ? i.e. what do DEPENDS, RDEPENDS, etc. do.
> 6) How can I use a layer to hold my project files ?
> 7) Do I need to delete tmp/ and rebuild to ensure I've got a valid project
> build configured ? (i.e. it doesn't rely on staged items that don't build
> when I bitbake MyProject).
> 8) How do I make my existing autobuild project in to a recipe ?
> 9) How do I set / change the root password ?
>
> These items would help explain how to create a recipe and to use bbappend.
> Ideally they should be worded so that they can be followed by someone with
> a general embedded background who has minimal exposure to embedded linux.
> However, it probably doesn't want to be an embedded linux primer.
>
> This project is already easier to use than many others and is supported by
> a really knowledgeable group who are willing to help newcomers out. As it
> grows it would be unreasonable to expect the same (relatively small) group
> to be able to support a much wider user-base. Comprehensive documentation
> and non-trivial worked example should help to reduce the workload and allow
> the group to assist those who have a genuine need of help.

> [...]

I disagree somewhat. I think the goal, as implied on the website homepage
video, is (and should be) to include new comers and foster an environment
where embedded development is somewhat more demystified. Experienced
embedded developers may be inclined to stick with what they know works for
them, but someone who decides they have a cool idea and is a good
developer, but never has built an embedded system before would be the
better user to target in my opinion. The team seems to be making good
progress in that direction and I will add my hat to the school of thought
that encourages focusing on extremely good documentation with simple and
advanced use cases, together with a workflow example for getting from
application idea to device. It may be a lot of work but without it you lose
so many potential developers.

--
Duff