[yocto] Help diagnosing a build failure involving ncurses, gettext, and eglibc

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Thu Nov 3 02:36:24 PDT 2011

On 03/11/2011 05:21, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 11/02/2011 10:16 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Darren Hart<dvhart at linux.intel.com>  wrote:
>>> I came up with the following to ensure I have a log of every bitbake
>>> command I run along with some useful stats. Feel free to use it or flame it:
>>>

>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> TIMESTAMP=$(date -u "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
>>> LOG=$(mktemp --suffix=".log" bb-$TIMESTAMP-XXX)
>>> if [ -z "$LOG" ]; then
>>>         echo "ERROR: failed to create log file"
>>>         exit 1
>>> fi
>>>
>>> (
>>>         echo "Start: $TIMESTAMP"
>>>         echo "========================================"
>>>         /usr/bin/time 2>&1 -v bitbake $@
>>>         echo "========================================"
>>>         echo "End: $(date -u '+%Y%m%d%H%M%S')"
>>> ) | tee $LOG
>>>
>>> echo "Logfile: $LOG"
>> It would be nice if we had this as a selectable option in the bitbake
>> wrapper somehow and it saved off logs to tmp/bitbake/logs/ or
>> something appropriate.
> I was having similar thoughts just after having pressed send :)
>
> Given how annoying it is to not have the log when you forget to capture
> it, I think this might actually make a reasonable default. The important
> bits are of course already recorded in
> tmp/blah/blah/blah/temp/log.blah.PID... but the above serves almost like
> an index into the individual files. I'm all for logging it by default -
> as well as collecting summary stats. I don't know if the above is the
> best way to go about it - but a functional equivalent would be nice.
>
> For all I know something like this already exists and I just haven't
> stumbled upon it yet.

I agree, something which actually logs what you are doing and how it was
done rather than just the output/error logging we have at the moment
would be a great addition. It would make it much easier to track errors
and help pin down bugs - especially if you have taken a long winded
route to get to a particular point.