[yocto] Diagrams

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Fri May 13 14:45:24 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 14:07 -0700, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> Currently I have been consistently using a ‘figures’ directory within
> each manual directory to house any PNG files used in a given manual.
> However, the Yocto-docs repository has a ‘diagrams’ folder at the same
> level as ‘documentation’.  I think we should continue to keep figures
> with their respective books and not in some higher-level folder at the
> same level of documentation.

The benefit of the "store them all in the same folder" approach is that
I can easily find and view the diagrams which might be useful without
having to dig through several folders. I can of course understand the
alternative argument you make.

> This brings up some questions.  Let’s say you have a figure that is
> somewhat universal and is used often by the community, such as this
> ‘oearch.png’ figure.  But, the figure is also part of a manual.  Do we
> keep the figure in the manual’s ‘figures’ folder exclusively?  Or,
> duplicate the figure and keep it in the higher-level ‘diagrams’ folder
> as well?
>

> It goes against good practice to duplicate things so I would lean
> toward keeping the figures with the documents.  And, if we have
> figures that are not used in any documentation we could keep them in
> the higher-level ‘diagrams’ folder.
>

> Thoughts?

I completely agree with the duplication point. I think git should handle
symlinks pretty well so we could store them all in the central directory
and link to the documentation sub-folders, or vice-versa?

Cheers,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock