[yocto-ab] Yocto Project Compatible Version?

akuster akuster at mvista.com
Thu May 28 18:11:53 PDT 2015

On 05/28/2015 03:22 PM, Jeffrey Osier-Mixon wrote:
> First - I want to make sure everyone understands that YP Compatible
> (*not* Compliant) is a branding term, not a technical term. There is no
> "Yocto Compliant", because that term implies validation that we simply
> do not have the ability to offer. We do not have a specification to
> comply with.

sorry, I am using the Projects terms see:
https://www.yoctoproject.org/ecosystem/yocto-project-compliance-program

> YP Compatible status enables the holder to use a special badge and to be
> represented in certain places on the website. That's all. It is not
> indicative of technical compatibility with the project. There are many
> layers, packages, and other components that are compatible with the
> project that are not YP Compatible for one reason or another. (Probably
> the main reason is that the sponsoring organization must be either an
> open source project or a YP member organization to be eligible.)
>
> Also, YP Compatible is not transitive. If a BSP has YP Compatible
> status, for example, it does not follow that operating systems that use
> that BSP are also YP Compatible -  there is no derivative status. Also,
> future releases of the component or product do not automatically get
> that status. Any component or product with the status must be voted in
> by the advisory board, and it is only good for a single iteration of
> both the component/product and the Yocto Project.

So If I have been approved for 1.7 on product "X" and later I add a new
BSP for product "X", I need to ask for approval again? even if this
occurs 20 times over the life of product "X" or and to add a new
feature/package?

> In that context - presumably if you update a package in your layer, you
> would update that layer to a new version. You would then want to
> validate that against some version of YP - presumably the latest.

Not what I am asking. If I have been approved for 1.7 and I include
Oe-core. If I update one package that resides in OE-core to a later
version, does that invalidated the approval?

After
> that, you would request YP Compatible status for your layer (now version
> x+1) at the YP version you tested with, Richard evaluates it for
> suitability (but NOT for compliance to any spec), and the advisory board
> votes on it.
>
> Again, since this is a branding program and NOT a compliance program,
> the motivation to update YP Compatible status should be based on
> marketing, not on a desire to be technically compatible with the
> project. For the latter, the best course is to work with Richard and the
> maintainers.
>
> I hope this is clear, and I'd be happy to update the documentation to
> reflect this.

thanks,
Armin