[yocto-ab] Yocto Project Compatible Version?

Jeffrey Osier-Mixon jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Thu May 28 15:22:23 PDT 2015

First - I want to make sure everyone understands that YP Compatible
(*not* Compliant) is a branding term, not a technical term. There is no
"Yocto Compliant", because that term implies validation that we simply
do not have the ability to offer. We do not have a specification to
comply with.

YP Compatible status enables the holder to use a special badge and to be
represented in certain places on the website. That's all. It is not
indicative of technical compatibility with the project. There are many
layers, packages, and other components that are compatible with the
project that are not YP Compatible for one reason or another. (Probably
the main reason is that the sponsoring organization must be either an
open source project or a YP member organization to be eligible.)

Also, YP Compatible is not transitive. If a BSP has YP Compatible
status, for example, it does not follow that operating systems that use
that BSP are also YP Compatible - there is no derivative status. Also,
future releases of the component or product do not automatically get
that status. Any component or product with the status must be voted in
by the advisory board, and it is only good for a single iteration of
both the component/product and the Yocto Project.

In that context - presumably if you update a package in your layer, you
would update that layer to a new version. You would then want to
validate that against some version of YP - presumably the latest. After
that, you would request YP Compatible status for your layer (now version
x+1) at the YP version you tested with, Richard evaluates it for
suitability (but NOT for compliance to any spec), and the advisory board
votes on it.

Again, since this is a branding program and NOT a compliance program,
the motivation to update YP Compatible status should be based on
marketing, not on a desire to be technically compatible with the
project. For the latter, the best course is to work with Richard and the
maintainers.

I hope this is clear, and I'd be happy to update the documentation to
reflect this.

--
Jeffrey Osier-Mixon, Intel Corporation
Yocto Project Community Manager | https://www.yoctoproject.org