[yocto-ab] YP HW test strategy

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Jan 2 06:30:10 PST 2014

On 12/11/2013 11:37 AM, William Mills wrote:
> On 12/11/2013 08:45 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 08:15 -0500, William Mills wrote:
>>> Last meeting I was discussing YP testing on HW and suggesting we
>>> adopt LAVA.
>>> Since that time:
>>> * I have found out that Minnow board was already being worked on for
>>> inclusion in LAVA
>>> * I formally requested for Linaro to complete the Minnow board LAVA
>>> integration happen
>>> * Linaro has announced that the LMP board IP have been donated to the
>>> open compute project
>>>       OCP plans to manufacture boards and give them away
>>>       The IP can be obtained from OCP under an open HW license and OCP
>>> will be accepting/expecting patches
>>>       [LMP are the little boards that help test a device under test, SD
>>> card mux, USB mux, HDMI mux etc]
>>> [Both Beagleboard and Beaglebone black are already supported in LAVA]
>>> * Khem Raj met with the LAVA team at ARM tech con and was impressed
>>>       * Khem said he was interested in adopting LAVA for his own work
>>>       * Khem said he was going to suggest adopting LAVA at the OE level
>>>
>>> I will be on the call today if we wish to discuss or we can continue
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Richard,
>>> I am happy to make introductions between the LAVA team and YP if they
>>> have not already introduced themselves.
>>> Who should be on the list for that?
>>
>> I'm assuming you saw the email from Paul Eggleton where he evaluated the
>> current position with LAVA and some of the other technologies out there?
>> LAVA has some attractive features but also some downsides. I believe
>> some of the LAVA people did see and respond to that email.
>>

> I did not but have looked at it now.  It looks like Paul is struggling
> with the same thing we struggle with: what can LAVA be made to do with a
> little bit of tweaking vs what is documented as the canonical (pun
> intended) flow.
>
> I suggest a conf call to work through some of this.

Who is going to take the lead getting this moving? What would be really
helpful from my point of view is some form of blog/doc showing how to
get LAVA to do something useful by testing on OE image in some form of
vm. This way we can get a feel for what LAVA can do, without having to
setup a master image on some real hardware.

Philip