[yocto-ab] Form submission from: Yocto Project Participant Registration

Osier-mixon, Jeffrey jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Thu Jan 2 10:44:59 PST 2014

Hello Bhaskar - thanks very much for your submission to the Yocto
Project compliance program. My only concern here is that the
application is coming from a large company with more than 80 people. I
see you have answered yes to question 5. I understand that AMD is
already a member of the Linux Foundation, but the Yocto Project is
separate in that regard - the question asks whether you are an
existing Yocto Project member organization. YP is part of the Linux
Foundation in the sense that we are an LF Collaborative Project - we
operate under their legal umbrella, we share some resources with them,
etc. - but in most aspects we are a separate organization, in the same
way that, for example, Hadoop is a distinct project even though it
operates under the Apache Foundation.

Due to the company size, the only way AMD would qualify for YP
Participant status is to join the project as a member organization. I
would be very happy to talk with you about this possibility. There are
two tiers of membership with annual dues that help pay for
infrastructure and outreach, plus members get a vote on the Advisory
Board which helps them guide the project in concert with the other
organizations - 16 at this point. YP is a true open source project
that is not owned by any single organization and we work hard to
represent all of our members equally. For the price of dues, AMD would
have its name cemented in association with the Yocto Project, the BSP
would be able to be hosted on the official YP servers, plus a number
of other benefits. Let me know if this sounds like something you would
like to pursue.

thanks

Jeff Osier-Mixon @Intel
Yocto Project Community Manager http://yoctoproject.org