[meta-xilinx] linux-xlnx from certain tag

Richard Cagley rcagley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 09:37:34 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Mike Looijmans
<mike.looijmans at topic.nl> wrote:
> On 14-07-15 23:32, Richard Cagley wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to use a particular git tag with fido
>>
>> In the recipes I see a -dev so if I add this to my local.conf
>> SRCREV ?= "7e86d869f14bcc57fab42801ad27d501847f4391"
>

> That won't work, it would set a default SRCREV for ALL packages. And since a
> default already exists, it will just not do anything at all.
>
> Try this:
>
> SRCREV_pn-linux-xlnx-dev = "7e86d869f14bcc57fab42801ad27d501847f4391"

oh I see. didn't realize that's how it worked.

>> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-xlnx-dev"
>> I get
>> ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide
>> virtual/kernel
>

> If it persists, just remove the "other" kernel recipe, and bitbake will tell
> you what is causing it to be built.
>
>> what is the proper way to achieve my goal of using a particular kernel
>> within the meta-xilinx meta layer?
>

> Create your own overlay layer and bbappend the kernel recipe(s) in that. You
> probably are going to create your own layer anyway, to build your own
> image(s) and application(s).

I agree. I started down this road last night. What I did was create my
own .bb file modeled on linux-xlnx-dev.bb and then made this the new
preferred kernel. Is bbappend preferred? I've seen <kernel name>.bb
and <kernel name>-dev.bb in other meta layers so I'm guessing having
the dev is general practice? But, that if you just want to bump the
kernel a bbappend off the main kernel is best?