[meta-intel] DPDK -- move to a separate sublayer

Tan, Raymond raymond.tan at intel.com
Mon Sep 25 05:54:36 PDT 2017

Hi Mark,

Agree on this, in fact for DPDK alone, there were a request came in for Mellanox card months ago,
thus the dpdk-libibverbs recipe.

> Right now to use DPDK, I'm having to use BBMASK to disable pretty much
> everything else in meta-intel for the systems I am trying to support.
>
> What I would like to propose is moving dpdk into a sublayer of meta-intel (or
> an external layer.)

I'm not sure about the sublayer design, perhaps Saul would have better input on this?
I think this boils down to what is the role of meta-intel, is it a common layer for IA-based platforms?
Or it's a layer to host software/firmware from Intel?

> I spoke to Saul about this briefly to see if it sounded like a reasonable idea,
> and at least on the surface it seems reasonable.
>
> Is this something you would be interested in doing?  If so, I can prepare
> patches to construct the new sublayer and move the associate package(s)
> into that layer.

Would this be in time for the Rocko release / meta-intel 8.0 ?