[meta-intel] DPDK -- move to a separate sublayer

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Sep 20 08:29:30 PDT 2017

I am looking at using the meta-intel version of DPDK for our customers, but
including all of meta-intel is problematic for me.  (We currently have our own
dpdk layer and recipes -- which I'd like to get rid of.)

The issue is that DPDK is not Intel specific.  Other architectures, vendors can
and do use DPDK for their components.

Right now to use DPDK, I'm having to use BBMASK to disable pretty much
everything else in meta-intel for the systems I am trying to support.

What I would like to propose is moving dpdk into a sublayer of meta-intel (or an
external layer.)

I spoke to Saul about this briefly to see if it sounded like a reasonable idea,
and at least on the surface it seems reasonable.

Is this something you would be interested in doing?  If so, I can prepare
patches to construct the new sublayer and move the associate package(s) into
that layer.

--Mark