[meta-intel] DPDK -- move to a separate sublayer

Wold, Saul saul.wold at intel.com
Mon Sep 25 08:04:11 PDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-09-25 at 12:54 +0000, Tan, Raymond wrote:
> Hi Mark,

I would suggest an external layer

> I think this boils down to what is the role of meta-intel, is it a
> common layer for IA-based platforms?

meta-intel is meant to be a BSP layer, so more focused in IA-based
platforms.

> Or it's a layer to host software/firmware from Intel?

As a BSP layer it should be more focused on platforms and not software
from Intel. There are a number of other layers for Intel software.

> > I spoke to Saul about this briefly to see if it sounded like a
> > reasonable idea,
> > and at least on the surface it seems reasonable.
> >
> > Is this something you would be interested in doing?  If so, I can
> > prepare
> > patches to construct the new sublayer and move the associate
> > package(s)
> > into that layer.
>
> Would this be in time for the Rocko release / meta-intel 8.0 ?

It could work for meta-intel 8.0 since we are independent of the Rocko
release itself.  If Mark can pull together the patches to create a
separate layers for both DPDK and I guess QAT, that would be great.

Sau!