[meta-freescale] Freescale meta-freescale announcement of new layer

Zhenhua Luo zhenhua.luo at nxp.com
Thu Mar 10 01:54:54 PST 2016

Hi Bob,

Please see my inline comments.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua

From: meta-freescale-bounces at yoctoproject.org [mailto:meta-freescale-bounces at yoctoproject.org] On Behalf Of Robert E. Cochran
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 11:38 PM
To: Lauren Post <Lauren.Post at freescale.com>; meta-freescale at yoctoproject.org
Cc: otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Subject: Re: [meta-freescale] Freescale meta-freescale announcement of new layer

On 06/29/2015 02:38 PM, Lauren Post wrote:

Freescale is pleased to announce the meta-freescale layer which unifies i.MX and QorIQ Yocto Project support  into a single

Yocto Project layer supporting both i.MX ARM and QorIQ ARM and PowerPC architectures.  We look forward to hearing your

feedback on how the consolidation of i.MX and QorIQ can improve the Yocto Project experience.  Our goal is to have one

build environment that supports both i.MX and QorIQ machines.

Through 2015 until the end of the year, official releases will continue to be done on the Yocto Project layers for i.MX and

QorIQ used so far (meta-fsl-bsp-release, meta-fsl-arm, and meta-fsl-ppc). For the new meta-freescale layer, releases will

be performed on a monthly basis, adding bugfixes as well as updates from the meta-fsl-arm and meta-fsl-ppc layers.

At the end of the year, when meta-freescale is stable, meta-fsl-arm and meta-fsl-ppc will be deprecated and only

meta-freescale will be used for Freescale releases.

Hi Lauren and others,

Can you please provide an update on FSL's / NXP's plans to maintain repos with the latest patches for QorIQ Power and ARM when working with the Yocto/Poky master branches?
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] we are working on the transfer from meta-fsl-arm/ppc to meta-freescale currently, the goal is to finish the transfer for Yocto 2.2 release.

I'm aware of three repo locations:

1) meta-fsl-arm and mets-fsl-ppc on yoctoproject.org:  both master branches have been updated in the past couple of weeks.  It seems that these were not deprecated as planned.

2) meta-freescale on freescale.com.  The fido_freescale_qoriq_sdk_v1.9 branch looks like it was used to stage SDK1.9, and it also received some additional commits beyond the SDK.  However, it hasn't received any patches this year.

3) meta-freescale on github.com/Freescale  ( community site ).  This is an active repo, but I think it has fallen behind with QorIQ-related patches.

Are there other repos where NXP / FSL are posting patches?
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] meta-freescale replaced meta-fsl-arn/ppc since QorIQ SDK 1.9, that's why you can see fido_freescale_qoriq_sdk_v1.9 branch in git.freescale.com. The QorIQ SDK release will be upstreamed to both meta-fsl-arm/ppc(git.yoctoproject.org) and meta-freescale(github.com) until meta-freescale replaces meta-fsl-arm/ppc completely.

Please let us know how the Freescale QorIQ developers plan to use particular repos moving forward.  Or in other words, if I'm building QorIQ Power and LS1 ARM based Yocto images using master branches on yoctoproject.org, which QorIQ repos and branches should I be using & patching?
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] QorIQ SDK will use meta-freescale layer in future, so the suggestions is to use this layer for your changes.

Could we also get an update on when we'll see QorIQ kernel recipes for a 4.x kernel ( looks like both linux-ls1 and linux-qoriq are still at 3.12)?
[Luo Zhenhua-B19537] The kernel will be upgraded to 4.1 in QorIQ SDK 2.0 which will be released in Q2/2016. You will see the new kernel in community meta-fsl-arm/ppc and meta-freescale layer in the early of Q3/2016.

Thank you,

Bob

The first beta release of meta-freescale on the branch *transition_beta1* is available now on git.freescale.com [1]. This release gathers

all of meta-fsl-arm and QorIQ SDK 1.7 into one layer, including all git history, and includes the release branch *fido_freescale*

based on the FSL Community BSP 1.8 fido branch [2]. Detailed information about each release is available in the README [3].

The second beta release will be at the end of July and will add support for i.MX 7Dual, i.MX 6UltraLite and i.MX 6QuadPlus,

as well as QorIQ SDK 1.8.

We look forward to feedback from the community to help build a better Yocto Project environment.

Instructions to download the manifest are in the README link below.

$: repo init -u git://git.freescale.com/yocto/fsl-yocto-repo.git -b transition_beta1

[1] http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/yocto/

[2] http://freescale.github.io/doc/release-notes/1.8/

[3] http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/yocto/fsl-yocto-repo.git/tree/README