[meta-freescale] Freescale meta-freescale announcement of new layer

Robert E. Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Wed Mar 9 07:38:15 PST 2016

On 06/29/2015 02:38 PM, Lauren Post wrote:

> Freescale is pleased to announce the *meta-**freescale*layer which
> unifies i.MX andQorIQYoctoProject support  into a single
>
> YoctoProject layer supporting both i.MX ARM andQorIQARM and PowerPC
> architectures.  We lookforwardtohearingyour
>
> feedbackonhowtheconsolidationofi.MXandQorIQcanimprovetheYoctoProjectexperience.
> Ourgoalistohaveone
>
> buildenvironmentthatsupportsbothi.MXandQorIQmachines.
>
> Through 2015 until the end of the year, official releases will
> continue to be done on theYoctoProject layers for i.MX and
>
> QorIQused so far(meta-fsl-bsp-release, meta-fsl-arm, and
> meta-fsl-ppc). For the new meta-freescalelayer, releases will
>
> be performed on a monthly basis, addingbugfixesas well as updates from
> the meta-fsl-arm and meta-fsl-ppclayers.
>
> At the end of the year, when meta-freescaleis stable, meta-fsl-arm and
> meta-fsl-ppcwill be deprecated and only
>
> meta-freescalewill be used for Freescale releases.

Hi Lauren and others,

Can you please provide an update on FSL's / NXP's plans to maintain
repos with the latest patches for QorIQ Power and ARM when working with
the Yocto/Poky master branches?

I'm aware of three repo locations:

1) meta-fsl-arm and mets-fsl-ppc on yoctoproject.org:  both master
branches have been updated in the past couple of weeks.  It seems that
these were not deprecated as planned.

2) meta-freescale on freescale.com.  The fido_freescale_qoriq_sdk_v1.9
branch looks like it was used to stage SDK1.9, and it also received some
additional commits beyond the SDK.  However, it hasn't received any
patches this year.

3) meta-freescale on github.com/Freescale  ( community site ).  This is
an active repo, but I think it has fallen behind with QorIQ-related
patches.

Are there other repos where NXP / FSL are posting patches?

Please let us know how the Freescale QorIQ developers plan to use
particular repos moving forward.  Or in other words, if I'm building
QorIQ Power and LS1 ARM based Yocto images using master branches on
yoctoproject.org, which QorIQ repos and branches should I be using &
patching?

Could we also get an update on when we'll see QorIQ kernel recipes for a
4.x kernel ( looks like both linux-ls1 and linux-qoriq are still at 3.12)?

Thank you,

Bob