[meta-freescale] from where to start to port some patches to a newer kernel

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Tue Oct 20 16:35:16 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
<mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:
> I'm playing with an imx28evk based board.
>
> The manufacturer supports just the old freescale kernel and and I have their
> layer to make it work in Yocto.
> They didn't define a new board, they just patched the bsp of imx28evk.
>
> I'd like to get an idea about how hard it could be to port those patches to
> a newer kernel.
> Which kernel would you suggest?
>
> What procedure do you suggest to set up a dev environment that will let me
> try start hacking easily?
>
> I was thinking about:
> * creating a copy of their layer, getting rid of their kernel patches
> * uncomment
>   PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-fslc"
>   and
>   PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-fslc = "3.%"
>   in local.conf
> * build image-core-minimal
> * start to add their ported patch back in the copy of their layer.
>
> Hoping that once I start they will join.

It depends on how:

 - much access you have to information
 - is the board already supported by Linux mainline?
 - compare both kernel sources to see the changes done by the manufactor

To be honest, I would start at U-Boot and not the kernel as it is
easier to hack and also allow for you to learn more about the board
specifics.