[meta-freescale] from where to start to port some patches to a newer kernel

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Oct 20 17:55:33 PDT 2015

On 21/10/2015 01:35, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> It depends on how:

>   - much access you have to information

I've a working yocto layer that use freescale 2.6.35 kernel that
includes some minor changes to init to set up a display. tslib and some
kernel patches.
Most of the patches are related to the attached display.
Others look like backports or pin configuration (none of which seems to
be "boot" related).
No pathces for uboot.

>   - is the board already supported by Linux mainline?

Up to my understanding of the patches, the board shouldn't be very
different from the original imx28evk so it probably may be supported and
I may just have to reassign some pins and port the display patches.

>   - compare both kernel sources to see the changes done by the manufactor

Ok, going back to re-read my books. Anyway, which kernel would you
suggest considering the board doesn't look that different from the
original imx28evk?

> To be honest, I would start at U-Boot and not the kernel as it is
> easier to hack and also allow for you to learn more about the board
> specifics.

Crossing fingers I may not have to learn how uboot works right now.

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it