[meta-freescale] i.MX6 AMP

Otavio Salvador otavio.salvador at ossystems.com.br
Thu Oct 8 05:28:53 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Edward Wingate <edwingate8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used Yocto and FSL community BSP to successfully create
> core-image-minimal for a Wandboard Dual.  I have a few questions I
> hope you can help me with.
>
> 1) Does this from ~20 months ago still hold true that meta-fsl-arm
> kernels cannot be configured via fragments?
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-freescale/2014-February/007037.html

Yes, it does.

> 2) The default kernel for wandboard is 3.14.  Are there are any
> efforts in progress anywhere to make kernel 4.x work on the wandboard?
>  If so, I'd be willing to help with testing and/or porting.

4.x works on Wandboard however it won't offer support for some parts
of the SoC, at this moment (GPU acceleration, some degree of IPU and
VPU, ...).

> 3) Does i.MX6 support AMP configuration?  From these links, it seems
> possible, but I can't find any remoteproc/rpmsg drivers for i.MX6 or
> any concrete implementation running.

ARM Cortex A9 does, so i.MX6 includes it.

> http://www.dave.eu/news/asymmetric-multiprocessing-amp-freescale-imx6
> https://community.freescale.com/thread/302483
> http://community.arm.com/thread/4929
>
> Perhaps the drivers are proprietary to dave.eu/polycore?

The AMP implementation requires some work to properly isolate the IRQ
and resource access across the individual cores, so  it demands some
work for it properly work. It seems they provide some tooling for it
and/or have done the BSP changes for better accomodate it.