[meta-freescale] SabreLite can not boot from SD card

Baodong Chen chenbdchenbd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 17:50:24 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Eric Nelson <
eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com> wrote:

> Hi Baodong,
>

> On 02/19/2014 09:41 PM, Baodong Chen wrote:
>
>> Hi Eric:
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>

> Please don't top-post!
>

>  All i want is to have a sdcard image which contains u-boot, kernel and
>> rootfs all in it.
>>

> And you get that with the stock image produced by Dora.

Yes, the u-boot.imx located in build/tmp/deploy/images/nitrogen6x

>  I have written SD loader to NOR flash already.
>>

>> So after bitbake, using the following two commands seems work for me,
>> the u-boot is loaded by SD loader from NOR flash and kernel is loaded by
>> u-boot.
>> dd if=fsl-image-gui-nitrogen6x.sdcard of=/dev/sdb
>> dd if=u-boot.imx of=/dev/sdb bs=512 seek=2
>>
>> Am i right? or am i misunderstaning something?
>>

> Okay, here's where I drop out.
>
> The SABRE Lite and all Boundary Devices boards boot to SPI-NOR.
>
> If you're re-programming them with the SPI-to-SD-Loader, you're
> explicitly stating that you know what you're doing.
>
> If you're over-riding that, you're probably either testing or
> preparing for a custom design, and you **will** need to understand
> how the image creation step in Yocto works.

I will hack
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm/blob/dora/classes/image_types_fsl.bbclass

> All of the Freescale boards are already configured to do this,
> so I'd recommend that you look at how that's done.
>
> Perhaps others on this list can offer guidance.
>
> If you get lost in the details, you can also just write a
> post-installation script to create your SD card using the
> parts provided in tmp/deploy/images/ instead of simply
> using dd.

The u-boot.imx located in build/tmp/deploy/images/nitrogen6x,  but the
fsl-image-gui-nitrogen6x.sdcard file
do not contain the u-boot.imx in it, as you said, uboot.imx default should
in SPI NOR flash. so this is ok