[meta-freescale] Overlay image and Text over video using hardware module in i.mx6

Philip Craig phil at blackmoth.com.au
Fri Feb 7 19:27:37 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Sachin Deshpande <3mediatech at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to i.mx6q board.
>

> I  am trying to implement the following scenario
>

> 1) Input video stream from STB / IP to server
>
> 2) Stream the video with periodically overlay Image and Text over the video
> and stream
>

> For the above purpose I am doing the overlay using gstreamer.
>

> But as the mixing/overlaying  is happening at CPU level the performance for
> higher resolution is very poor. Is there a way to perform mixing/overlaying
> in hardware so that I can achieve the real-time video.

The hardware supports overlaying framebuffers. You can use /dev/fb0 as
the background framebuffer for video, and /dev/fb1 as the foreground
framebuffer for text, and use alpha in pixel to make the text
background transparent. This needs some configuration of /dev/fb1. You
need to set the resolution, enable alpha in pixel and unblank the
framebuffer. See https://community.freescale.com/thread/303279 for
ioctls to do this.