[Automated-testing] CKI project introduction

Veronika Kabatova vkabatov at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 06:24:44 PDT 2019

----- Original Message -----

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out (together with the other resources you
mention below) as I have time.

> Do you have a public web site for CKI?  If so, can you provide that,
> or add the link yourself to this page (under Test Automation Tools):
> https://elinux.org/Test_Systems

Yes, we are at cki-project.org (although there's not much info yet). I'll
request an account and add the link.

> The inception of this community came about based on some board farm
> and automated testing talks and sessions at ELC Europe 2017.  Some of the
> information
> from that event was preserved here:
> https://elinux.org/Board_Farm
>
> I'll describe below what we've been working on, and what I think would be
> good next steps to coordinate our work.

I'm planning to write up a few posts explaining technical details and stuff like
that later (and they'll be also linked from the project website) if that would
help. We are also still evolving our pipelines so things will likely change in
the future.

> > We are also planning a sort-of-hackfest/meeting with upstream and CI
> > people
> > during Plumbers this year [5]. We heard there was an Automated Testing
> > Summit
> > last year collocated with OSS. If it happened during Plumbers this year we
> > would be excited to join, however I'm not sure if we'd be able to
> > participate
> > otherwise.
> >
> > Please reach out on any of the channels if you have any questions for us,
> > Veronika
> >
> > [0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KwDWsAqivo
> > [1] https://github.com/cki-project/
> > [2] https://gitlab.com/cki-project/
> > [3] https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linux-stable-mirror/2019-
> > March/096629.html
> > [4] https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linux-stable-mirror/2019-
> > March/096639.html
> > [5] https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/
>
> OK. Thanks.
>
> At the Automated Testing Summit in 2018, we tried to come to agreement on
> a few things: terminology, an overall CI reference description (based on a
> diagram
> by me and Kevin Hilman), and a set of next steps for working together on
> Linux
> CI standards.
> See https://elinux.org/Automated_Testing_Summit
> (slides and videos from the event are linked from that page)
> Also, see https://elinux.org/Test_Glossary and
> https://elinux.org/Test_Standards
>
> We would like to learn more about your system, to see how it fits with our
> conception of
> the CI loop that we use in embedded Linux testing.   To help use share
> information
> among ourselves, we created a survey, which I can send to you if you are
> willing
> to fill it out.  You can see the survey and responses for other Linux test
> systems at:
> https://elinux.org/Test_Stack_Survey

Absolutely! Should I make a page with our answers on the web or do you have a
different way of recording them?

We don't do any embedded system testing since that's not what our customers
care about (although I personally love embedded) but hopefully we can still
collaborate on making the kernel better.

> Finally, now is probably a good time to talk about the status of our efforts,
> and when
> we plan to get together again.
>
> I'll start that discussion in another thread on this list.
>
> It is nice to hear from you, and learn about your testing initiatives and
> software.

Thanks!

Veronika