[Automated-testing] CKI project introduction

Tim.Bird at sony.com Tim.Bird at sony.com
Tue Mar 26 13:00:12 PDT 2019

Veronika and other CKI people,

Hi and welcome to this list!

Here's a brief intro to this list and some links to our resources.
https://elinux.org/Automated_Testing

Do you have a public web site for CKI?  If so, can you provide that,
or add the link yourself to this page (under Test Automation Tools):
https://elinux.org/Test_Systems

The inception of this community came about based on some board farm
and automated testing talks and sessions at ELC Europe 2017.  Some of the information
from that event was preserved here:
https://elinux.org/Board_Farm

I'll describe below what we've been working on, and what I think would be
good next steps to coordinate our work.

That sounds great.  I just had time to check out the first few minutes of the talk,
but will plan to check out the rest of the talk, and your source code, soon.

> I'd also like to link our reports for stable kernels [3] and stable queue [4]
> so you can see which tests we run for upstream without having to dig
> through
> our repos.
>
> While we don't have a public IRC channel yet, we can be reached at
> <cki-project at redhat.com>. Some of us also already joined this list and were
> invited over to #linaro-lkft so we can discuss possible collaboration with
> other upstream kernel CI systems.

Thanks.  I would definitely like to compare notes, and see what we can
learn from and leverage from your system.

> We are also planning a sort-of-hackfest/meeting with upstream and CI
> people
> during Plumbers this year [5]. We heard there was an Automated Testing
> Summit
> last year collocated with OSS. If it happened during Plumbers this year we
> would be excited to join, however I'm not sure if we'd be able to participate
> otherwise.
>
> Please reach out on any of the channels if you have any questions for us,
> Veronika
>
> [0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KwDWsAqivo
> [1] https://github.com/cki-project/
> [2] https://gitlab.com/cki-project/
> [3] https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linux-stable-mirror/2019-
> March/096629.html
> [4] https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linux-stable-mirror/2019-
> March/096639.html
> [5] https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/

OK. Thanks.

At the Automated Testing Summit in 2018, we tried to come to agreement on
a few things: terminology, an overall CI reference description (based on a diagram
by me and Kevin Hilman), and a set of next steps for working together on Linux
CI standards.
See https://elinux.org/Automated_Testing_Summit
(slides and videos from the event are linked from that page)
Also, see https://elinux.org/Test_Glossary and
https://elinux.org/Test_Standards

We would like to learn more about your system, to see how it fits with our conception of
the CI loop that we use in embedded Linux testing.   To help use share information
among ourselves, we created a survey, which I can send to you if you are willing
to fill it out.  You can see the survey and responses for other Linux test systems at:
https://elinux.org/Test_Stack_Survey

Finally, now is probably a good time to talk about the status of our efforts, and when
we plan to get together again.

I'll start that discussion in another thread on this list.

It is nice to hear from you, and learn about your testing initiatives and software.
 -- Tim